Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fall

Once again I seem to be slacking on the up keep of a blog. I do enjoy sharing what has been goin on here on the Farm and what I have been up to with my spinning and knitting projects. I am really, really going to try to at least update weekly.
I have just signed on 5 spinners to do some spinning for me. Great concept, I give them 2 pounds of fleece they spin one up for me and they get to keep the other for them selves. I am very excited to see the finished results.
All of the Cria from last fall are doing great, been blessed to have a happy and healthy herd this year.
I am going through something with one of my males that has me very concerned.
If any of you are familiar with the term Berserk Male or Abberant syndrome you know what I am talking about.
This is very rare, but can be caused by having to bottle feed a cria and allowing that Cria to get too friendly. Sometimes the Cria was just friendly to begin with and they are so hard to resist hugging and kissing.

I have learned my lesson the hard way. My first and only bottle baby Dipper has matured this year. HE is now 3 and full of male hormones. He has decided that he is no longer allowing me into the males side without a confrontation. he runs to the gate tail raised and head up pacing back and forth. He has so much as knocked me into the wall and fence, bumped into me when I was bending over. He will not allow me to enter through the gate, he stands in front of it as if daring me to come in. I have been trying to make myself very big, carring a plastic stick with me or a rake at all times. I am always yelling NO in a very loud and firm voice. Sometimes this works and sometimes not so much.
Been doing a lot of reading and searching for information but there is not a lot out there. If this can not be stopped the outcome is not good as these males can become a real threat, as it is now I do not trust him and will never, ever turn my back on him.
I am also hoping that will fall here and breedings done for the year that maybe the hormones will settle down a bit and we can get on track with some more learning for both of us. Dipper needs to re learn his place and to respect mine. This is very important and I will be updating any and all results we make.



1 comment:

  1. I am very, very happy to report that Dipper has a new home and is fitting in wonderfully. He has 3 companion males making up his herd. All reports have been good, he is behaving and enjoying his new farm.

    ReplyDelete